A great session would be...

Agile/Kanban/waterfall/blah/whatever methodologies stop us seeing the forest through the trees...

Ok so this is a bit of a controversial topic title but I am getting more and more convinced (and worried) that the more we talk about process, process, process, the less concerned we are with how *good* what we are creating actually *is*.

Processes are all well and good but no substitute for being smart, coming up with *good* ideas and implementing them well. What if everyone was able to feel like they were the owner of the project, be incentivised in the right way (and no, I'm not talking about money), feel the pain when things go wrong and elated with people tell them that what they'd done is fucking awesome!

Product management is not just about ticking the right boxes and following schedules. It's about guiding developers and designers to create amazing products that people love to use.

So, errrrm.... discuss!

102 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    marcusgreenwoodmarcusgreenwood shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Daniel DemmelDaniel Demmel commented  · 

Good process gets out of the way and gives the team freedom to deliver quick iterations, influence the direction of the product and be motivated.

Agile isn't just following Scrum blindly (and thinking that if you're doing sprints and stand ups you're totally there), but figuring out what works for your product and team and continuously improving.

And while no process will of course be a substitute for a good idea and doing your homework, on the other hand the best products weren't conceived in their successful form right at the beginning, but formed through failures and learning from them.

This is definitely an interesting subject though, I'd be happy to pick it up and give a talk on it!

Feedback and Knowledge Base